- Aug 17, 2020
JD.com Announces 2020 Second Quarter and Interim Financial Results
BEIJING, Aug. 17, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — JD.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: JD and HKEX: 9618), China’s leading technology driven e-commerce company transforming to become the leading supply chain-based technology and service provider, today announced its unaudited financial results for the three months and six months ended June 30, 2020.
Second Quarter 2020 Highlights
- Net revenues for the second quarter of 2020 were RMB201.1 billion (US$1 28.5 billion), an increase of 33.8% from the second quarter of 2019. Net revenues from the sales of general merchandise products for the second quarter of 2020 were RMB64.0 billion (US$9.1 billion), an increase of 45.4% from the second quarter of 2019. Net service revenues for the second quarter of 2020 were RMB22.9 billion (US$3.2 billion), an increase of 36.4% from the second quarter of 2019.
- Income from operations for the second quarter of 2020 was RMB5.0 billion (US$0.7 billion), compared to RMB2.3 billion for the same period last year. Non-GAAP2 income from operations for the second quarter of 2020 was RMB5.6 billion (US$0.8 billion) with a non-GAAP operating margin of 2.8%, as compared to RMB3.2 billion for the second quarter of 2019 with a non-GAAP operating margin of 2.1%.
- Net income attributable to ordinary shareholders for the second quarter of 2020 was RMB16.4 billion (US$2.3 billion), compared to RMB0.6 billion for the same period last year. Non-GAAP net income attributable to ordinary shareholders for the second quarter of 2020 increased by 66.1% to RMB5.9 billion (US$0.8 billion) from RMB3.6 billion for the same period last year.
- Diluted net income per ADS for the second quarter of 2020 was RMB10.47 (US$1.48), compared to RMB0.36 for the second quarter of 2019. Non-GAAP diluted net income per ADS for the second quarter of 2020 was RMB3.51 (US$0.50), compared to RMB2.30 for the same period last year.
- Annual active customer accounts3 increased by 29.9% to 417.4 million in the twelve months ended June 30, 2020 from 321.3 million in the twelve months ended June 30, 2019. Mobile daily active users4 in June 2020 increased by 40% as compared to June 2019.
“Since the COVID-19 outbreak, JD has steadfastly leveraged our distinctive supply chain and technology capabilities to contribute to society and ensure the steady supply and undisrupted delivery of daily necessities to consumers, while helping to create jobs within our ecosystem and support business partners amidst the dynamic economic environment,” said Richard Liu, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of JD.com. “I’m grateful for the efforts of JD’s employees and business partners in driving another solid quarter of accelerated revenue growth, as our extensive product offerings and superior services continue to attract large numbers of new users.”
“Our scale advantages and cost efficiency enabled us to provide attractive prices during our June 18 sales promotions, benefiting consumers and society as China’s economy emerges from the difficult pandemic period, and helped drive solid top and bottom line results for the second quarter,” said Sandy Xu, Chief Financial Officer of JD.com. “Our strong financial and operating performance form the basis for JD’s continued investment in innovative supply chain capabilities and a superior customer experience to support our long term growth.”
Hong Kong Listing
- On June 18, 2020, JD.com successfully listed on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited under the stock code “9618”, with a global offering of 152,912,100 new Class A ordinary shares (including a partial exercise of the over-allotment option completed on July 15, 2020) (the “Global Offering”). The Hong Kong-listed shares are fully fungible with JD.com’s American depositary shares (“ADSs”) listed on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, based on the ratio of two ordinary shares per ADS. The gross proceeds from the Global Offering, before deducting underwriting fees and the offering expenses, amounted to approximately HK$34,558 million. JD.com plans to use the net proceeds to invest in key supply chain-based technology initiatives to further enhance customer experience and improve operating efficiency.
Environment, Social and Governance
- In response to the COVID-19 resurgence in Beijing in June, JD.com rapidly deployed prevention measures to protect consumers and employees while ensuring the steady supply of daily necessities. As the new outbreak was linked to a wholesale food market in Beijing, JD.com carried out virus screening on fresh produce. Contactless deliveries were made widely available in local residential compounds, and JD delivery staff, truck drivers and warehouse workers were all tested for the virus.
- In the second quarter, JD.com continued to contribute to China’s poverty alleviation efforts, including joining a nationwide program to offer tens of thousands jobs in its logistic and retail operations and hosting live stream shows with rural counties to promote local specialties. JD Health and JD Foundation launched online purchase subsidies for low income families covering selected medicines, creating the largest health poverty alleviation project in China in terms of geographical coverage, population benefited and total monetary amount.
- JD.com continued to attract premium global brands to its platform as a widely trusted retailing channel for high quality products. In the second quarter, brands including Prada’s high end footwear brand Church’s, London based innovative luxury fashion label Christopher Kane, well-known British furniture design brand Tom Dixon, Italian luxury shoe brand Sergio Rossi, Korean high street apparel brand SJYP and affordable Japanese cosmetics and drug store Daikoku, all launched flagship stores on JD.com.
- In the second quarter, livestreaming continued to grow in popularity as a tool for suppliers and merchants to engage with customers. Ms. Dong Mingzhu, Chairwoman of Gree Electronic Appliances, booked a record-breaking sale during a three-hour livestream show, featuring pre-sale customer education and product recommendations. In order to diversify its user engagement channels and fully leverage its supply chain strengths, JD Retail announced a strategic partnership with Kwai, one of China’s leading short video platforms. The debut event, a one-day livestream show jointly held by the two companies, was a great success connecting Kwai’s large user base to JD.com’s broad selection of high quality products and superior online shopping experience.
- In April, JD Retail launched “Instant Delivery” services for mobile products, with delivery of mobile phones in as fast as one hour through JD Daojia. The initiative applies its omni-channel strategies to more diversified categories and further improves customer experience. The service currently covers selected authorized stores as well as other partners within JD.com’s omni-channel ecosystem.
- JD Retail continued to apply advanced technology to various consumption scenarios in order to facilitate online purchasing. Following the launch of its AR-based virtual shoe “try-on” service – the first for an e-commerce platform in China – JD Retail launched its AI-powered skin evaluation service in June, allowing users to upload images from their mobile phone for analysis and receive customized shopping guidance on suitable skincare and cosmetics products.
- On August 17, 2020, JD Health, a subsidiary of JD.com, entered into a definitive agreement with Hillhouse Capital for its non-redeemable series B preference share financing. The total amount expected to be raised from Hillhouse Capital is over US$830 million. JD.com will remain the majority shareholder of JD Health after the completion of this transaction, which is subject to customary closing conditions. The closing is expected to occur in the third quarter of 2020. Hillhouse Capital is a leading investment management company that has established a comprehensive ecosystem in the healthcare sector in China. By leveraging Hillhouse Capital’s industry expertise and resources, JD Health will further strengthen its pharmacy supply chain capabilities and explore additional healthcare services opportunities in the broader healthcare sector.
- In June, JD Health unveiled its Traditional Chinese Medicine Consultation Center and Intelligent Otorhinolaryngology Services Center, each bringing together the country’s top specialists and providing online consultations and disease management programs for patients nationwide. With the addition of these two centers, the specialized virtual medical treatment centers within the JD Health app cover areas including heart disease, mental health, diabetes, kidney disease, pediatrics, oncology and maternity, among others.
- In the second quarter, JD Logistics launched a new Asia No.1 warehouse in Langfang, Hebei province, near Beijing, equipped with the first automated storage and retrieval system for bulky items in Asia’s e-commerce industry, greatly improving efficiency in handling items including air conditioners, refrigerators and furniture. Thanks to its continuous focus on technology innovation, JD Logistics maintained fast delivery standards during the June 18 Anniversary Sale as orders surged to record highs, ensuring that 91% of packages from its direct sales platforms arrived at consumers’ doorsteps same or next day throughout China.
- As of June 30, 2020, JD Logistics operated over 750 warehouses, which covered an aggregate gross floor area of approximately 18 million square meters, including warehouse space managed under the JD Logistics Open Warehouse Platform.
Equity Investees Update
- On June 25, 2020, JD.com announced that it has entered into agreements with JD Digits, pursuant to which JD.com will acquire a 36.8% equity interest in JD Digits by converting its profit sharing rights with respect to JD Digits as set forth in the Framework Agreement entered into between the two parties in 2017, and investing an additional RMB1.78 billion in cash in JD Digits to satisfy the minimum capital registration requirement under the PRC laws. Upon closing, the Framework Agreement, including the current profit-sharing arrangement between JD.com and JD Digits, will terminate, and JD Digits will become an equity method investee of JD.com.
- Dada Group, one of JD.com’s important ecosystem partners, listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the ticker “DADA” on June 5, 2020. Upon its initial public offering (IPO), JD.com purchased additional shares as a cornerstone investor. As of June 30, 2020, JD.com is the largest shareholder of Dada Group with a 47.9% stake. JD.com has formed an extensive cooperation relationship with Dada, as its local on-demand delivery and retail capabilities support JD.com’s innovative projects and omni-channel strategy, together bringing consumers the most convenient and advanced shopping experience.
Operational Metrics Update
- As of June 30, 2020, JD.com had approximately 240,000 employees excluding part-time and interns.
Safe Harbor Statement
This announcement contains forward-looking statements. These statements are made under the “safe harbor” provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements can be identified by terminology such as “will,” “expects,” “anticipates,” “future,” “intends,” “plans,” “believes,” “estimates,” “confident” and similar statements. Among other things, the business outlook and quotations from management in this announcement, as well as JD.com’s strategic and operational plans, contain forward-looking statements. JD.com may also make written or oral forward-looking statements in its periodic reports to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”), in its annual report to shareholders, in press releases and other written materials and in oral statements made by its officers, directors or employees to third parties. Statements that are not historical facts, including statements about JD.com’s beliefs and expectations, are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. A number of factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in any forward-looking statement, including but not limited to the following: JD.com’s growth strategies; its future business development, results of operations and financial condition; its ability to attract and retain new customers and to increase revenues generated from repeat customers; its expectations regarding demand for and market acceptance of its products and services; trends and competition in China’s e-commerce market; changes in its revenues and certain cost or expense items; the expected growth of the Chinese e-commerce market; Chinese governmental policies relating to JD.com’s industry and general economic conditions in China. Further information regarding these and other risks is included in JD.com’s filings with the SEC. All information provided in this press release and in the attachments is as of the date of this press release, and JD.com undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement, except as required under applicable law.