Nov 12, 2016|
JD.com Sees Record Orders and Sales Volume for Singles Day
The Singles Day shopping festival draws to a close with JD.com customers having placed record numbers of orders. On November 11 alone, our total transaction volume increased 59% versus the same day last year, while for the November 1-11 period it increased by 60%. We plan to incorporate finalized GMV into our normal quarterly reporting for the fourth quarter.
Mobile continues to be the main access point for shopping with JD.com, with 85% of our orders on Nov 11 coming through mobile devices. Our native app, WeChat and Mobile QQ shopping entry points, and the JD mobile website all received very strong traffic during the period.
This year we extended our home grown logistics network beyond our self-operated warehouses, delivery vehicles and delivery staff, with the expanded use of drones to speed package delivery to rural customers. After successful drone deliveries in four areas of China, we plan to expand this program to rural customers in more areas starting next year, bringing the advantages of ecommerce to more and more people. By the end of 2017, we expect to have more than 100 regular drone routes for rural customers.
Some notable fact and figures from the 11-day sales period include:
· Apparel and home furnishings sold strongly, accounting for 40% of total orders on JD Mall
· 42.5 million cellphones, office products and digital products were sold, including 650,000 laptops and 500,000 desktop PCs and some 4.34 million cellphones
· Fresh foods saw sales increase 1,000% over the same period last year, with Argentine red shrimp and seafood from Southeast Asia proving particularly popular
· The company sold 20 million books
· 1.1 million pairs of sports shoes sold on JD.com
Additional one-day facts and figures from November 11 include:
· Guess had 70 times the number of orders that it has on a typical day
· Lee’s orders increased 43-fold compared to Singles Day last year
· Tumi orders increased 20-fold compared to Singles Day last year