- Jun 11, 2020
- Business Update
Cooperation between JD.com and Intel Has Set Up New Records
by Vivian Yang
The cooperation between China’s largest retailer and the world’s No.1 chip maker has set new sales records: On the first day of the 618 Grand Promotion, the biggest mid-year shopping festival in China, overall sales of Intel-powered computers on JD.com increased by 61%, with some remarkable achievements in sub-categories:
- Notebooks: sales of slim and light notebooks increased by 90% year-on-year, gaming computers increased by 58%;
- Desktops: transaction volume of desktops went up by 120%, number of desktops sold rose by 132%, transaction volume of gaming desktops grew by 168% year-on-year;
- Assembled PCs: transaction volume increased by 66% year-on-year;
- Offline JD stores: sales of intel-powered computers at JD Computer and Digital Products franchise stores went up by 160%.
The sales result is a testimony of the strong strategic cooperation between JD.com and Intel. In the past six years, the close collaboration between the two parties has been a phenomenon and continues to deepen each year:
- In December 2014, JD and Intel formed their first partnership to establish the “JD-Intel Innovation Lab”, working together on the promotion of technological innovation, improving user experience, and building an e-commerce platform for enterprise-level products. Based on this platform, the Intel RealSense Technology was implemented into JD’s warehouse management system, providing a great boost for JD’s logistics efficiency in a competitive e-commerce market.
- In April 2015, JD.com became Intel’s first-ever online general selling agent, also making JD.com the first e-commerce general agent for Intel in the world.
- In June 2017, Intel joined JD’s game and pan-entertainment industry alliance. Under JD’s Game+ initiative, the two sides had worked together on a number of manufacturer and industry integration projects to improve products’ attractiveness and deepen engagement with PC makers and game players. Such as increasing Customer-to-Manufacture (C2M) products based on Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) collaborations, and sponsoring on top-level gaming events in China, like S1(Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds), CSGO (Counter-Strike Global Offensive) contests, etc.
- In 2018, according to Intel’s data release, JD became the largest retailer of Intel-powered PCs in the world. In December 2018, JD.com and Intel launched a joint lab that explores the use of Internet of Things (IoT) in smart retail solutions. The digital retail joint laboratory combines the massive data accumulation of JD in retail industry with Intel’s computing advantages. The lab aims at establishing a better retail industry infrastructure through incubating and promoting the commercial realization and global promotion of new technologies and products.
“The long term cooperation between Intel and JD.com is aimed at unleashing the potential of the retail platform and ecosystem so as to collectively drive innovation and upgrading in the PC market. We firmly believe that through a strong partnership between Intel and JD, we will bring more value to the supply chain and customers, which will in turn be helpful to our sales,” said Tang Jiong, General Manager of China Consumer Consumption Group in Sales and Marketing Group of Intel.