Mar 6, 2020|
JD Data Predicts Trends of Short Video
by Yuchuan Wang
JD.com released its “2019 JD.com Short Product Video Report” by JD Retail and JD Big Data Research Institute, the market research arm of JD.com, on March 5th. The report analyzes the full year performance of short product videos, and forecasts five trends for the future development of short videos on e-commerce platforms.
- Multiple retail scenarios: Short videos are covering more touchpoints with consumers in the retail process – sales, marketing, etc. and is boosting conversion rates
- Full consumption lifecycle: Short videos have relevance in the entire lifecycle of a sale, from pre-sale to after-sales.
- Higher conversion rates: Use of short videos in content marketing will further attract consumers’ attention, promote interaction, and lead to high-quality conversion
- Maximizing copyright value of visual content will become a new track in the development and evolution of the industry.
- Technology will accelerate short video: New technologies such as 5G and AI will accelerate the innovation of the short video service model
Below are some highlights from the report. (Read the original Chinese report here.)
Data shows that during big shopping festivals, the daily playback of short videos on JD can reach 2 billion times. The total number of videos posted by consumers during JD’s June 18 anniversary sales also increased by 60.38% compared with the same period in 2018.
Users in the 16-25 and over 56 age groups have become key groups for new viewer growth. The report also found that male consumers prefer to watch product introduction videos while female consumers prefer to share videos of items they’ve actually purchased.
Viewers of short product videos are mainly from developed regions such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong. The fastest growing viewer groups are from lower tier cities such as Baoding and Langfang in Hebei province, and Weifang in Shandong province.
Right now, short videos on JD are developing across multiple devices and have new applications in the shopping process. Video and AR instructions are becoming increasingly popular and improving the customer experience.
JD continues to enrich its visual content services, including video content marketing, merchant video production, and video quality audit. It will continue to expand its applications to help brands and merchants improve conversion.
In recent years, with the increasing awareness of copyright, e-commerce platforms pay more and more attention to the copyright protection of visual content. JD expects there will be a positive impact in promoting the development of original content for the e-commerce industry.